Monday, June 2, 2008

The great kindness of God

I can't speak enough of the kindness of God since I have been here. It almost brings to tears He has been so kind and caring to me. Basically I have no car, few friends, not much to do and I'm alone most days from 9-6 pm on the weekdays since I'm not allowed on the ITESO campus with the team (due to the kids). As you can imagine, this is not the easiest with 2 toddlers to entertain. But He has been so kind. I know that I am alone, but somehow I do not feel that lonely and we get to the end of a day and I know He got us through. The first thing He did was bring me across the path of an American girl who has lived here for 10 years and she invited me over that weekend for a big playdate, and I met another girl Susanana, who is here with her husband doing missions to the poor here. She took us to the park with them the other day. Then the next day, I was walking home from the shopping plaza and peeked in this big party place, and saw a bunch of people that I knew...and we got invited into probably the best birthday party I've ever been to. The kids got to run free and jump on all these bouncy things and play games, Bailey got her face painted. I said, "Bailey, who let us in this birthday party?" She said, "Jesus!" I said, "That's right!". It was really so sweet and so good for them. Since then, I've been invited to another birthday party, to use someone's pool in the neighborhood (I just have to get there somehow), I'm going to a children's museum tomorrow with Susanna, and I met another lady at church that lives up the hill who has a 3 year old boy and can come to my house and play. And I can not consider the kindness of this one woman, Claudia, without tearing up. She is about 40 and I met her as Bailey's Sunday school teacher and she immediately gave me her phone number and said to call her she would love to hang out with me. Then the other night she took me home and was asking how things were, and I told her it has been hard, honestly to be alone with the kids. She told me how much she loved me and that I had a friend in her and that she thought of me all the time, and that when school was out next week she was going to come get me to come to her house and she was going to take care of Bailey and Owen. She told me that she knew that I just needed to get some of it out and talk. Then today, (she is a teacher at the church), she spoke to all the teachers and for the next week while school is still in Bailey can come in their classes from 8-12 or so, so she went in this morning. She had a ball and has been wanting to go in there since we got here! Through all these people, I have felt the provision of God and that I am not alone at all. He is providing for every day and all we need. I tell you, I hope that I do not return home unchanged toward people who are in my situation, new in town etc. I hope that I never feel that same apathy toward them that I have felt in the past but am willing to inconvenience myself so that they can have a friend too when they are in need.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the movings we've had, being somewhere completely new and not knowing a sole is hard. It opened our eyes to reach out to newcomers too...I'm glad He's provided for you.
-April & Robby

Danny and Jennifer White said...

Kim,
i will pray for you. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim!

Wanted to let you know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers. Becca likes finding Mexico on the map and asking about Bailey and Owen. (Tell them she said "Hola!")

I am look forward to hearing how God will continue to work in your life this summer. Has the names of God study come in handy???

More later...know that you are loved,

Your non-blogging friend,
Shay

Kristin said...

How encouraging... I'm so glad you are not only receiving God's sweetness, but relishing in it... Thanks for sharing all of that.

Victoria Scanlon said...

Kim!! I am so thankful things are looking up. Will be praying for you!! Love you much. - Vic